Saturday, August 8, 2015

We are in Alaska

We have had a long wonderful day, mostly. All flights were on time and were very pleasant. We arrived in Fairbanks exactly when we were supposed to. I had my first taste of elk, moose, and rain deer. Actually it was in a pizza!   The highlight of the day was the flight from Seattle to Fairbanks. We saw Mt Rainier sticking out above the clouds. The sky's over Alaska cleared and we were delighted that we followed the Inland Passage, the route we took on the ferry in 1986. As we continued north we flew above mountains with glacier after glacier. I took pictures our of our plane window, but the device to transfer them to my iPod is in my suitcase, which didn't make the flight with us.  Chris's bag didn't make it either. We are assured that they will be here by morning, before we board the train to Denali.    I looked through my pictures from 1986 and found the mountain and glaciers that we flew over today. I believe it is Mt St Elias.   Check this out.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrangell%E2%80%93St._Elias_National_Park_and_Preserve
We had hoped to fly over this mountain and glaciers in 1986, but the clouds were too low. This time we saw it from 30,000 feet, in a mostly cloud free sky. it was amazing. We saw so many glaciers that are still carving mountains. This flight was not just a "get you to your destination flight",it was a glorious sightseeing flight. Sort of like life isn't it.   Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to share a shot or two I took out the plane window today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment