Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The way we were

This picture was taken when we arrived in Spread Eagle after our great Alaska trip.    If you look close at my forehead you see a small bandage. I was bitten by a tiny spider in Juneau, Alaska. We were camping beneath the Mendenhall glacier. We were very cold and we crawled into our sleeping bags about 7 pm. The kids were in a talkative mood and began telling us all the things they did as kids that we didn't know about. It was fascinating to hear there stories. I grew sleepy, but did not want to miss anything. I noticed a itsy-bitsey spider descending above my forehead. I felt a tiny bite and smashed the spider. The bite triggered  a staff infection in my forehead.     By the time we got to Skagway I was having trouble seeing out of my left eye. We asked a local policeman if there was a doctor in town and he happily told us the gynecologist is in town. So I had my first visit with gynecologist who was able to make a diagnosis and give me a prescription that cleared up the infection.     To this day if you look at the left side of my forehead you will see a tiny scar. It is my souvenir of a wonderful time with my favorite people! Since we won't be sleeping in a tent beneath a glacier I don't think I will be bitten by a spider this time.

1 comment: